In episode 3 of the Shoosmiths serious injury podcast, Shoosmiths colleagues Kashmir Uppal and Sharon Banga are joined by former patients of rogue surgeon Ian Paterson, Sarah-Jane Downing and Lesley Cuthbert.
The group discuss the issues surrounding how cases involving rogue surgeons are investigated and accounts from former patients of Ian Paterson, as to the devastating impact of his treatment practices.
Sarah-Jane and Lesley also talk about the journey that they have been on in terms of the legal process and their wider campaigning in the interest of increasing protection of patients in the private sector and in the health system in general.
This episode covers:
- The background of the Ian Paterson case and what happened
- Information about the civil cases, GMC, criminal case, Inquiry, issue of liability of the private sector
- Campaigning that has already taken place and a look at the future of the work to be done
- The present stance in terms of the implementation of the recommendations made by the Inquiry
- Future of the area of cases involving rogue surgeons
The Shoosmiths serious injury podcast is brought to you by the national serious injury team at UK law firm Shoosmiths. Tune in to hear about the latest legal views, thought provoking discussions and opinions about all things medical negligence and personal injury.
This information is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. It is recommended that specific professional advice is sought before acting on any of the information given. © Shoosmiths LLP 2022