Natasha has a varied caseload including claims against NHS trusts, private hospitals/practitioners and General Practitioners. She has experience in many different medico-legal areas including spinal injury, neurological injury, surgical error, fatal claims, birth injury, dental claims and gynaecological injury. She has particular experience in claims relating to eye injuries associated with infection, caratact surgery and laser eye surgery. She represents adults and children and acts on behalf of Claimants only. She also has experience of assisting clients during the inquest process and representing families in the Coroners' Courts throughout the country.
Natasha has experience in judicial review and public law claims and the reporting of practitioners to their various regulatory bodies.
In addition to working on her own caseload, Natasha assists a partner in the department.
- Acting on behalf of a formerly high flying racehorse vet who was unable to return to her previous employment or follow her intended career path due to alleged negligent anterior cruciate ligament (knee) surgery.
- Acting on behalf of a widow during a 4 day long inquest at Birmingham Coroners court. This was a very tragic case where a vulnerable man was allowed to escape from a psychiatric ward and died from his injuries after falling from the hospital roof. A jury found that the hospital's neglect had contributed to his death. Following this Natasha brought a civil claim on behalf of the widow who received a substantial sum in compensation.
- Assisting in bringing a claim in clinical negligence on behalf of a 28 year old former professional photographer and mother of three. The Claimant suffered a cauda equina (spinal) injury resulting in significant disability and inability to return to her professional photography work. The Claimant was awarded a 7 figure sum in compensation at trial.
- Natasha assisted in bringing a claim in clinical negligence on behalf of a 35 year old lower limb amputee which ultimately settled for a 7 figure sum.
- Natasha also successfully appealed a decision made by a Primary Care Trust in refusing to provide funding for a cosmetic surgery procedure which was medically required.
Testimonials from clients/quotes:
- Mrs H, 'Natasha Read was outstanding. So professional, conscientious, meticulous yet always personable and caring. I really felt that she had my best interests at heart and trusted her to do the right thing at all times.'
- Mr W, Coventry 'Their expertise and professionalism is of the highest standard. The solicitor Natasha Read provided excellent service always keeping me fully informed and explained everything perfectly to my satisfaction...its the personal touch that comes through clearly. Always asking about me first, always addressing my wife by her name (not your late wife) and always making you feel like you are their MOST IMPORTANT CLIENT. Thank you doesn't say enough for what I feel. But I am glad I had Shoosmiths on my side.'
- Miss Evans, Gloucestershire 'Natasha has been an amazing solicitor throughout the whole process. I couldn't have asked for any more from her. She is a great asset to the Shoosmiths team.'
- Mrs Watts, Lichfield 'Shoosmiths, and especially Natasha exceeded all expectations in relation to the hard work and effort put in to resolve my case. I was very happy with my settlement and felt that Natasha kept me involved with and up to date with it at every stage. I have no hesitation in recommending Natasha and the team to anyone'
- Mr G, West Midlands 'Great help, understanding and reassuring. Kept me informed at all times regarding the case. Professional, would recommend to anyone.'
- Mr P, West Midlands 'I felt that the team dealing with my case were very professional at all times. A special thank you to Natasha Read on her advice and assistance as the case progressed to a very satisfactory conclusion.'
- Mrs D, Redditch 'I am very happy with the service provided in what was a very sensitive and personal case. Everyone dealt with me in a caring and helpful manner. I would definitely recommend Shoosmiths.'
Natasha studied Law at Warwick University and gained a 2:1 LL.B. with honours in 2006. Immediately after finishing university she studied the Legal Practice Course at Birmingham College of Law and achieved a Commendation in 2007. She then commenced a training contract with a Lanyon Bowdler in September 2007. During her training contract she spent two 6 month seats in the clinical negligence department and a seat in the criminal and corporate/commercial departments.
Natasha qualified as a solicitor in the clinical negligence in September 2009. She joined Blakemores Solicitors in Birmingham in November 2011. She then took the post of solicitor in the clinical negligence department at Shoosmiths in May 2012.
Outside of work, Natasha enjoys keeping fit and is a keen member of her local gym. She took part in the London 10k race for the Child Brain Injury Trust, in addition to the Birmingham BUPA half marathon for Shoosmiths’ sponsored charity for 2013, New Life.
Legal Practice Course - Commendation ( The College of Law)
LL.B. (Hons) 2:1 ( Warwick University)